Wednesday 5 January 2011

The Last Bluefin Tuna



From a culinary point of view, whether cooked, seared, raw or even canned, I wouldn't say I am a big fan of tuna but I eat them.  I know that most big fish (Whales for instance) are over-fished but I did not realise that the Bluefin Tuna specifically is tip-toeing on the edge of extinction.

 

In view of that...what can we do to save the poor fish?
 

  • Build a time machine?  Go back years ago before the days when people start consuming shark fins and try to stop them.
  • Ask the chef every time when they serve you tuna and avoid it if they are bluefin.
  • Every time your friend who is about to tuck into that bluefin tuna sushi, yell and say "by the way this is endangered, I wouldn't eat it if I were you".
  • Buy a book that list out fish that are abundant and those that are being over-fished.  You can either become a fish expert by memorising all the vastly available species or concentrate on the list of fish to avoid from the standpoint of - try it while you can as it probably won’t be around much longer.


How would you go about protecting the last bluefin tuna now that you know they are at the verge of extinction? 






 

No comments: