Wednesday 13 October 2010

It Pays To Pay For Corkage


Hong Kong moved to centre stage in the global wine industry two years ago when the city abolished the 40% wine import duties to zero!

A regular consumer like myself, understood the benefit wouldn't come immediate as the going argument against lowering prices by restaurants then, was they still had pre-tax-cut-stock to sell off, I nonetheless, took that slash as joyful news.

Two years after they axed the wine tax, can someone explain why I am still paying up to USD17.00 for a glass of wine?  May be the local restaurants just don't see the point of lowering the prices.  I mean, why would they when they know they have a constant flow of wealthy drinkers from mainland China (who would happily mix Lafite with Coke)?



I went to Watson’s Wine Cellar today and found Noble One 2007 on the shelf selling at USD29.00 while I had it the other day in a restaurant at doubled the price!

Most often than not, I think it pays to pay for corkage in Hong Kong - particularly so for the more expensive wines. 

A point worth noting though: Purchasing Noble One in Hong Kong is found to be 10-12% less expensive than in De Bortoli  - its birth place of origin.  

I am indeed enjoying the cut in wine taxes and who am I to complain? 







No comments: