Sunday 3 October 2010

Hong Kong Best-Loved Gem: Star Ferry


I could well contest to be one of the Hong Kong Star Ferry’s loyal customers because if time allows, I would almost always choose this means over any other transportation to cross the Victoria Harbour.  I mean, would ya?

For me, the short journey of under 10 minutes is really more than just a ferry ride - it is an absolute delight.  



I was on the lower deck today and this bunch of kids did exactly what I did when I was young.  The spot where that boy was standing, was what it used to be my favourite place where I chose to park myself twenty odd years ago during the ride.

Brewing with anticipation as the ferry approached the pier on starboard side, I would watch out for one of the crew members throw the mooring rope and immediately my excited eyes would not lose sight for the pier's crewmen catching that rope with a long billhook.

May be I was hoping to see if they would miss the catch?  But they never failed. 

Same portly green and white from the 60s relics - this ought to be one of Hong Kong's best-loved gems.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree!! I always make sure I ride on the star ferry everytime I come back to HK for holiday! ;)
That short journey is a bliss everytime!