Monday 30 May 2011

Say When

I am against the invasion of the almost obligatory pepper-mill in meals.  It bothers me when the wait staff asks me if I want fresh pepper BEFORE I have even tasted the food.  Am I suppose to know if it needs pepper at that point?  

I mean if the food is properly seasoned to begin with, we wouldn't need it, right?  Must everything except dessert be covered with an extra bit of fresh pepper offered in a reverential ceremony with a 19-inch-long baseball bat/pepper grinder?   Salads are generally the exception.


Calm down.  Manners, please.

Alright then.  If it's manners you are after.  I give you manners. 



Wait staff should always approach you on your left, he should wear a smile and politely ask if you would like some pepper on your food.  


If you respond with a "Yes please", he/she should reply you with "Say when" while gracefully offering you the freshly grounded pepper.   When you feel you have had a satisfactory amount sprinkled on your food, you don't say "Okay", you don't say "Stop".  


You should say "When".



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha.... were you annoyed with certain waiter/waitress when you write this piece? I guess the "say when" is short for "when to stop" or "when is enough"? I usually say "that's enough". I guess it's different to Chinese "叫停" then when it's enough, one should say "停".

But have to agree with you on the fact that they "have to" add extra pepper on your food, no matter what... should let us taste first ar! ;)