Saturday 21 May 2011

Oyster Shucking


I am never a big aficionado of oysters and when a bunch of friends all went terribly excited about joining a class to shuck and slurp a dozen of oysters, I sort of went...OK, why not.  Let's do it.

With a little bit of textbook theories to start with, like how to pick the freshest and present them in the freshest, we were thrown right into some shucking actions!  The ordeal was a lot more difficult than I thought and in fact, I found it both rather awkward and dangerous and I just couldn't jab a blade into an oyster’s crevice. 

I was hoping the class experience would change my luke-warm interest in these delicacies, but nope - that didn't happen.  What did happen was the curious me went digging for an alternate way to shuck open these mollusks.

Nitro-Oyster Shucking?  What is that?  Sounds so cool.

Ideas In Food says it is the process of opening the oysters by dipping them in liquid nitrogen then allowing them to thaw.  The quick freeze causes the shells to pop open easily just by shucking with a finger they say.

The only problem is...wouldn't these lovelies be too cold to be served afterward?


No comments: