Sunday 15 May 2011

The Danger of Free


Everyone loves to get stuff for free is it not?  We line up to get a free drink, even though we all know and understand that free is an illusion.  After that free drink, we pay for the next three.

Most online consumer services I subscribed are free, including Gmail, Blogger, Facebook, Amazon, eBay and Taobao just to name a few.  The logic is that the more people who use these services, the more page views they generate and the more ads they are shown – so the happier the advertisers.   And you'd learn to ignore ads on your screen as part of the deal, you just so naturally don't expect to have to pay for these services in return.  

On the surface this makes perfect sense.  Until this very day, when I had problem signing in my Google account in the morning, got refrained access to Blogger in the afternoon, these two alarming incidents made me realise the danger of using these services for free. 



Free is starting to make me nervous.  I am easily being exposed to losing nearly 6 years worth of emails, over 1000 blog posts in the span of just over 4 years and not to mention the various online documents currently being stored in Google Office.  

I have to keep reminding myself that nothing has changed.   



There's no free lunch.

No comments: