Saturday 16 April 2011

Macau's Most Expensive Show of Watery Stunts


I wrote a piece about my anticipation of The House of Dancing Water last September when it joined the fray with others in Macau and I finally took my parents to see the long-awaited show.  I have to say I wasn’t hugely wowed like the critics have been saying.

Needless to say, of course it involves a love story with a handsome hero, a beautiful captured princess plus a whole enormous troop of evil baddies.  Somehow, a random Chinese hero whom they seem to have brought in just for the sake of it was all over the place, but there was definitely not enough story to hold my interest.  Not particularly helpful when the tall guy who sat right in front of me started fidgeting after half an hour.  


Thankfully, the show seemed to have been designed for people just like me, as any time I was at the slightest danger of getting bored, there came an amazing diving stunt or a crazy acrobatic performance.

If you are heading there soon, please be warned the story isn’t really the point of the show.  You will just have to sit back and let the whole thing wash over you.  And I really mean it if you are going to be sitting in the first two rows of the theatre.  Be prepared to come out soaking wet.  

No comments: