Thursday 21 April 2011

Beijing Traffic Is Terrific


Stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic like this, is such a natural scene in the city of Beijing, as if I have to feel terrific about the time wasted in the daily gridlocks.  And trust me I do not. 

The government can't seem to figure it out too despite policies to alleviate traffic congestion.   I confirm its difficulty to implement after I did a little survey with my dear colleagues in Beijing and found out nearly each and one of them owns at least 1 to 2 cars in their household!  

At one point, the government really wish to boost their own GDP by encouraging domestic consumption and we have over 1,000 new cars join the road in Beijing everyday.  It seems like a lot of people are saying “Yes, traffic sucks, I wish the government did something about it.   But then, I need to drive to work every day, so screw everyone else.”

One thing I don't seem to have to do here is scream ”Hey, this is a pavement you %$&" and I do not see crazy taxi drivers zooming in and out of lanes, like those in Shanghai - who know best how to knock down a few bowling pins!

To generalise, a word for Beijing's traffic - terrific - is probably right.

 

No comments: