Sunday 17 April 2011

How Much Should We Read Into Personality Tests?


A friend just did a personality test at work and shared the set of questions with a few of us and we decided to have a crack at it together and compare results afterward since it didn't look that lengthy.

It was the Meyers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) personality test that I am sure many of you have heard or even completed one at a certain point in life.  Turned out the test was quite spot on in a few areas but failed miserably in some, for all of us.

I mean the traits that this test identify are so broad and ill-defined that it would be hard to guess how they would affect performance in most jobs.  Knowing myself is an “ENTJ” type, as measured by the Meyers Briggs, doesn’t really provide any clues with regard to whether I will be a good CEO or a top sales person. 

Nonetheless, I am told ENTJ's have been described as the leader of leaders. Not just managers and supervisors, but the big boss, the Chief and there tends to be more CEOs with ENTJ than any other type.  And if you happen to be a female ENTJ like me, you constitute about 2% of the world's total population! 




Right, so I have just discovered I am indeed a rare species, sitting in the same category along with Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Richard M. Nixon, Al Gore and Margaret Thatcher.  

That's a nice little useful fact to know, but what should I do now that I have this little known fact?  Should I be finding such a job to fit myself or try to fit myself into those jobs? 

I am used to people calling me CEO from time to time anyway - Chief Entertainment Officer, that is!  Most of the time, I really am just a CSO - Chief Sort-It-All-Out. 

No comments: