Sunday 5 December 2010

Chess And Life

I still vividly remember learning how to play chess on that eight by eight squares checker board as a teenager and no matter how hard I tried, I was never quite able to beat my mother.

Mom kept telling me then, that life imitates Chess and it's all about making the right moves at the right time.  Won every single time, I believe she has been right all these years - up to a point.

We revisited this topic of discussion today and I told her what she didn't convey then, was that life is never that straight forward.  How I wish things can appear in either black or white; if only matters lie not on the different shades of grey in between.

I learnt that one day you give your opponent a lesson, the next day he gives you one. Did anyone really teach us to be truly appreciative of the fascination of sacrifices at school?  Nope. All that opportunity cost is still rather abstract to me, to be frank.

We are all chess masters to some extent, we will, however, never be master of chess and that is pretty much what life is all about.

Sounding a bit morbid, and I have December to blame.




 

No comments: