Thursday 9 September 2010

The Sleep Deprived

I usually sleep no more than five or six hours a day and frankly, it always seemed like enough.  Sure, I know the experts recommend eight hours, but hey, I can always feel good about getting a lot done in those extra two or three hours while the rest of the world is asleep.

With the recent workload, between my day time job, my freelance jobs, and my night time job, probably 4-5 is all I can afford.  So lately, I am feeling very sleep deprived.  So deprived that I can even doze off on bus journeys  - yes I don't normally do - that's just not me.  


May be the effects of sleep deprivation are adding up gradually and when I come to think about it, sleeping only six hours a night for a week makes me as tired on the seventh night as if I have had no sleep at all.

It's 3am wee hour, I got to wake up in 3 hours.  Should I be wishing myself to sleep tight or not?  

Right, I'm determined to make a conscious effort to get more shut-eye. I still don't know why we sleep in the first place but, I am beginning to have a much better feel for what happens if I don't.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you've gotta resist turning on your pc to blog, email or facebook when you can't sleep, it's gonna make things worse

try instead:
(1) drink warm milk
(2) tune in to soothing music
(3) lie on couch and watch tv

for me, getting away from my bed helps... i'll try watching tv and pretty soon i'll doze on on the couch.

Anonymous said...

First of all, I hope you are sleeping well now [sorry this is a bit late, but I only find time to catch up on my favourite blog today, two months late! :S]

some notes for you..
1) studies have shown, people who sleep less are more likely to put on weight!
2) it's all about sleeping cycle! I feel good after a 4.5 hours sleep but always tired after a 6 hours sleep! (next holiday, make a note of the hours you sleep, should let yourself wake up naturally. Do that for a few days and average out your own sleep cycle)