Tuesday 21 September 2010

Shoeshine Stands

I often remember to have my leather shoes polished whenever I am staying at hotels where they provide shoe polish cloths.   Today, my boots were in for a real treat at one of the traditional shoeshine stands. 

When the whole world is slipping in sneakers these days, no wonder we do not see many shoeshine stands exist any more and somehow, the exercise of shoe polishing has become a fussy rite that most would only occasionally indulge in.  I still remember how it was a serious business when my father would spend hours on his and explained to us the each and individual steps involved.


I have never seen women up on a shoeshine stand as I guess climbing up a shoeshine seat wearing a dress or skirt would be rather awkward.  



Well ladies, I can tell you my feeling of sitting on the shoeshine stand as I have been there done that for the first time!  And isn't he cute?

It was majestic.  I felt like Queen Victoria sitting on her throne but better (as she didn't have an OSIM lumbar massager, but I did)!  

Stepping down from the throne felt more like a Humpty Dumpty but, with twenty bucks, my boots are now shiny as new!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Twenty US bucks!
Wow...that's really expensive. But it's worth trying at least once I guess. I've never done this before.

Ya, I remember the good old times when my dad polished his shoes. It's meticulous. First brush off the dust with a shoe brush, next polish it with Kiwi, followed by another light brushing to seal in the polish. I only do 3-in-1 method now. Apply shoe polish/cleaner, polish and wipe, that's it. Shame shame.