Friday 7 May 2010

Living In The Mirror

Scissors, peelers, tin openers, craft knives, fish knives, pencil sharpeners, golf clubs and guitars.  

What do they have in common? 

I was holding an interesting conversation with a friend about how various things in every day life (such as those above), that we, lefties find more difficult to use because of how our brains are wired.  

Left-handers are forced to learn to do many things right handed because we simply have no choice (I think we are just better at compromising really!)   

Anyway, let me present you with some examples that I bet you right-handed people probably never think about.

  • Hand sliding across where we have written, smearing the ink and blackening our sleeves looking very messy
  • Pick up a coffee mug and the picture side faces away instead of facing us
  • Writing uncomfortably on a file where the binding is under your hand
  • Writing on a cheque book where the stub is right underneath
  • Pens in banks are rather annoyingly chained to the right
  • Ticket barriers on tubes exits are forever on the right hand side

Just to name a few. 


I used to praise highly of HSBC (or the then called Midland Bank), where they issued cheque books for left-handers.  

I love going to Harry Ramstens obviously for the famous Fish 'N Chips, but also because I can ask them proudly to hand me a left-handed fish knife with no questions asked.


I have been searching high and low for this left-handed Officine Panerai which is no longer being produced.  Somehow, owning that I feel would really make my life complete!






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you like Simpsons? The creator, Matt Groening is left-handed as well! In one of the episodes, Ned Flanders has opened a shop called "Leftorium" ;)

Aud said...

I am not particularly fond of the Simpsons...but I've heard how Homer harrassed poor Ned and made his Leftorium go out of business! I hope he felt guilty doing that!