Sunday 16 May 2010

A Genteel Pastime

Did you know Hong Kong has now attained the highest horse-racing turnover in the world?   I have no idea since when the game has creeped into one of my family's Sunday pastimes too.

Picking our favourite horses could not get any easier these days.  My father often places his at the Jockey Club's fully computerized betting terminals, I'd choose to do so at my finger tips online and my uncle always prefer the human touch and so he places his bet using a dedicated hotline.

Not only have we got differing channels to place bets, it's funny how we almost never end up with the same pick in each race.  So it is only typical that we each have to look out for a different Jockey Silk at the finishing line: be it squares, lines, circles or star.


I personally think nothing sets our home abuzz in the weekend quite like the thrill of watching horse-racing; with the unity made possible by the colour divergence in the horse racing apparel!


No comments: