Friday 23 April 2010

A Password Driven Life

I think my life these days has become largely dependent on passwords, whether I am checking emails, transferring funds or shopping online.

I'd say a password-driven life for me is pretty accurate, as oppose to Rick Warren's best-seller "The Purpose-Driven Life"!



Today at work, I was being reminded once again of these tips for setting strong passwords for my single-sign-on. 

   1. Password should have at least 8 characters
   2. Password should contain mixed case letters
   3. Password should contain at least one special character or at least one numeric character
   4. Is not the same as user ID or any part of it
   5. Is not a word in any dictionary
   6. Is not commonly used combinations such as guest3, welcome1, password5, oracle, oracle1
   7. Is not the user's birthday, or a related person's name or other personal facts

Man...I am basically running out of juice whenever it comes to a password renewal!

If you haven't come across, below is the top 10 most commonly used passwords online. 
  1. password
  2. 123456
  3. qwerty
  4. abc123
  5. letmein
  6. monkey
  7. myspace1
  8. password1
  9. link182
  10. (your first name)
If everyone is avoiding the top 10, I reckon I should just pick one from the above list.  Sorted!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another 'golden' advice is not to use the same password across all applications. But really, how many passwords can one remember? A colleague told me she saves all her passwords in a file inside her PC. I hope this file is password-protected too. Gosh...it's a never-ending loop. Irony Irony.