Tuesday 30 March 2010

Seniors & Mc D

It must have been years since I last had a McMuffin from Mcdonalds and oddly, I woke up at the crack of dawn just then craving for one. Since it's my day off, I thought, why not have something different for breakfast for a change. 

So like a kid, there I hopped to the nearest Mcdonalds and instead of seeing youngsters, I could only find old folks in the entire restaurant (and I wasn't dreaming).  




I sat there for a while and I observed that these elderly usually do not eat, but would have a hot drink, sit and chat and....not surprising, grab whatever they can. 

McDonald's has spent millions to attract the young in our society that I just assumed that McDonald's is a young people's haven. With the aging population and with what I witnessed just then, there might be a place in the market for the chain that can offer and promote food that is just a bit healthier. 

Actually, McDonald's first opened in Hong Kong some 35 years ago, so naturally, most elderly people would have fond memories of going to McDonald's in a big group when they were young.  

I am sure they just wish their food's healthier so that they would be able to go there for lunch, reminiscing the old days once in a while.   


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it's the same trend here in HK.

When Mc Donalds first started, the crew were mainly teenagers/youths. As the years go by, youngsters started to shun away from working in Mc Donalds - hourly pay too low, don't like to wash toilets - and now the crew in Mc Donalds are mainly middle-aged aunties and uncles. Same profile as their 'new' clientele :-)