Monday 1 August 2011

Prioritising Priorities

I work in a large company where we “prioritise” everything.  In fact, we are so good at priortising that we can have multiple priorities at any given time without sounding too alarming.

I tend to be somewhat very straight forward when it comes to figuring things out because I know I am not good at handling complexities.  That’s why I love definitions. 

It is hard to talk about anything without knowing what that thing means.   So when someone told me a priority is a list of stuff in order of what is most important, I would be thinking...but important to who?  And how do we know what is more important than something else?

What deemed important to you might create zero interest in me and what concerns me could be none of your business.  So after long meetings to discuss what priorities are the most important, it feels like we are trying to meet the demands of everyone else and not ours.  

That to me - just didn't sound right and yet - I can't find what was so wrong about it too.

  
Edges weren't as sharp as they ought to be on a Monday anyway.  Let's revisit this topic again some other time.  The prioritising of priorities can wait (I think).   

No comments: