Monday 8 August 2011

This "Show Off" Thing

I recently found myself sitting around a pool listening to someone talked about how she has too much money and too little time to spend it.

This conversation went against a rule I was taught as a child - a great piece of advice that my mother shared with us was 'never let anyone think that you are richer, more important or wiser than they are.   Even if any of those are true!'

If we were to go around bragging about how much money we earn and how well we are doing in our careers, unfortunately a lot of people would react negatively.  Instead of being happy for us, they would become jealous. So my mother was basically saying 'don't be a show off and you will always have friends on your side!' 

This inherited nugget of wisdom of hers basically teaches us how to be more charming.  Oddly enough though, no one else at the table seemed uncomfortable.  I began to wonder if perhaps my thinking is a bit old fashioned.

Stop bragging with your big head mate.  No one cares.  




No comments: