Sunday 14 August 2011

Thats The Spirit (3): Champagne


As simple a name as a French Province, Champagne to me is a magic word that needs no translation.  The French have done such a good job in promoting their product that the name Champagne is almost synonymous with elegance, style and refinement.

I am not a huge fan of the bubbly family because I always think Champagne goes straight to my head as I tend to get drunk faster, stay drunk longer whenever I had it. 

But recently, someone told me Queen Victoria was known to use a stirring rod to chase bubbles out of her Champagne, quietly avoiding any embarrassment from those pesky fizzy gasses. 

With more and more brunches offering all you can drink - eat 12 courses of foie gras and drink 2 bottles of champagne before 2pm on a Sunday, may be it is a tactic worth investigating?  




No comments: