Saturday 20 November 2010

Going Back To Our Roots

We had our thanksgiving dinner tonight and not only we were fed a delicious meal, my mother brought to the table some ancient photos she dig out from I don't know where.

The thanksgiving this year reminded us of my family history, our loved ones and kindled a desire in me to learn more about my ancestors.  The trace started logically from our family tree, on to some snippets from relatives who came from Shantou, China. Then my uncle from Chicago filled in the gaps spanning across 4 generations with his own precious 80-year old memories and everyone else kept adding in their own flavours to enrich its prosperity in the past.  

Thanks to all of them, the pre-war journey way back to the 30s was truly nostalgic and I felt like I was reading the most amazing history book I could ever lay my hands on.  

The Hay days: our family mansion in Shantou, China, 1940s.  Part of it still standing today. 


The prosperity at the time affording golf and tennis for my great grandpa. That's my auntie on the right standing in front of that same mansion. 



Their memoirs gave the notions of our tradition and values and I am ever so proud to say I have found my roots.    What about you?  Would you be inclined to find yours? 






 

1 comment: