Monday 23 August 2010

Good Morning G

In the early hours, before everyone started rushing into the office, I used to meet this diligent cleaning woman in her sixties, and she would always welcome my day with a huge smile and a warm good morning greeting.  I would return with a "Good morning, G", and asked how she has been.  The speed of my typing was often baffled by the ultra efficiency in her cleaning job. 

We have been making that sort of friendly bashes for months and in the last week or so, I have not seen her and today, I saw a lady performing what ought to be G's task.  I asked for G's where about and the lady told me she has been really ill.

Apparently, G has been working too hard on several jobs a day and suffered from exhaustion. 

That news really broke my heart.  I felt I have known G better than a lot of my existing colleagues and I can feel a special closeness to her.  She once told me she really loves her job, but not until this moment, that I realized she didn't really love it.  I mean, who would love to be a cleaner in her sixties?  Surely, she NEEDED that job for a living!

I would hate to think of what my office would look like if it weren't for the janitorial staff.   Respect!




 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There was a special programme about NASA on TV last month, they interviewed some VIPs of course, but when they causally asked a janitor about his view on working at NASA, he simply replied, "I love working here, I've helped putting mankind to Moon." ;)

PS: Hope G is recovering.