Tuesday 22 June 2010

Men vs. Women (and vice versa)

A friend told me her friend complained to my friend about her husband being a bit short in the romance department. 

My friend, who wanted their relationship to stay intact, tactfully and discreetly hinted her friend's husband to go look for a surprise for her dear wife. 

So there he went, returned home after a day and said "I tried, but I just couldn't find anything that I can buy as a surprise for her!"

Doesn't it sound all too familiar to picture this husband - who despises romantic movies, hates romantic getaways and complains about candle-lit dinners?  Sounds a bit like your husband too perhaps?  

They tend to be unaware that surprises do not have to come as a gift, it literally means something out of the ordinary, is it not?

To be fair though, I don't think men aren't romantic overall.  I think they do, but they often come across as unromantic because they have an analytical mind that hinders it.

My theory is, when a man watches a "romantic" movie, he will be looking at it logically, whereas women look at it emotionally.  Say when women see a man apologising to a woman with flowers in the movie and think "Ahhhh...that's so romantic!".

To him, when he watches the very same movie, instead of saying "hurting someone and saying sorry with some roses is romantic", he considers "listening to her and trying to communicate effectively, so that she doesn't get hurt in the first place, is indeed, MORE romantic".

After all, we believe to a certain extent that Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus, right?

Though "Martians" and "Venusians" are really only stereotypes.  I have a little suggestion for you here - Feel free to change the sexes in the above and I can assure you, you are bound to find it makes equal sense - to some you know!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In your example here, I'm more man than woman. I agree with the man's view of "try not to hurt the woman in the first place", rather than try to give a romantic apology later. In this aspect, I'm more man, and more simple. Flowers to me are a waste of money. I never know what's the fun about receiving flowers in the first place, when few days later, they will definitely end up in the trash bin.

And I do pity men if they have to keep up with giving surprises. This is sooo tiring. Haha.