Thursday 3 February 2011

Mini Bar


Wynn Macau, a lovely hotel and my family and I were all quite pleased with the accommodation but believe it or not, the only thing we found most bizarre - was the mini bar system in our suite.

We have all travelled a bit to know that mini bar service typically comes in daily and does a tally of the objects in the bar and if today’s tally does not match yesterday’s tally, we have obviously consumed something.


You see, this mini bar was rather different.


We needed a place to store the food we purchased so we opened the mini bar and cleared out the first shelf for our stuff.   No big deal, right?

That was where I was wrong. 

I didn't notice this mini bar was sensor activated! And you have exactly 60 seconds to deactivate. 




According to the rules, when a bottle was moved (consumed or not) and not been replaced to its original position within 60 seconds, it would be counted as having been consumed.

Since we moved EVERYTHING in the fridge (mostly alcohol) we were charged for the entire contents of the fridge at a ridiculous rate within the first 5 minutes of our stay!

I managed to restore order to the mini bar, learned a lesson the fun way.  Realised I definitely haven't travelled enough to make "Don't Touch That" a default!  I shall hopefully try to remember to read all the signs and instructions in the room next time, but...honestly speaking, I really can't see the very smart side of that mini bar system.  Can you?





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen hotels using the same system elsewhere too. I always look because I am the type of traveler who will refill the slot by buying from the supermarket after consuming one from the fridge (guilty)

KammWaterColor said...

The Sands in Singapore does the same. I went two weeks ago for business and we were advised in advance! I am the "refill" type of travelling as well. While my act may not be all that befitting, I don't think the hotel's is neither!