Sunday 21 February 2010

Reading Emails After Being On Holiday

Most people are used to the pile of email which awaits them after returning from a few weeks off.  Let's say you have three hundreds sitting there and you have an hour to just read without needing to respond to any of them.  Is it better to read the most recent emails first, or the oldest first? 

I always experience this dilemma plus the constraint in time, but it is generally my habit to read them from oldest to first. That way, if an issue or outage has occurred, I could come across the notification first, then the resolution to the notification. 


What is your way to deal with yours?  Would you scan and filter? Sort by sender?  Would love to do a little survey here and could be interesting to see if there exists some kind of correlation to the personalities and occupations in the sample.  

 

1 comment:

BY said...

It depends.

The 'situation' here is 300 emails to be finished within 1 hour. I'll then sort by sender - zoom in to people who're likely to send me stuff that matters more.

If I have a whole day and I think I can finish all unread emails within the day, here's what I'll do:
(1) I start from oldest first.
(2) Then I read all threads related to this email by sorting by subject title.
(3) Finish this thread, I go on to the next oldest.

Let me know what's your finding and any correlation with personality.