Monday 19 September 2011

Every Motorist's Nightmare



In this busy life of ours, while there are buses, trains and taxis, having a personal vehicle is an added advantage.   Cars have grown from the likes of the 'rich and famous' to the 'must have commodity' for most.  What has held me back from owning one has been the maintenance and repairs as the juncture where the headache lies.   Not to mention the skyrocketed fuel prices!


Bumps, potholes, drains and huge puddles - mix the entire lot together and you get an instant picture of typical city roads.  Add in the rain in peak hours goes a step ahead in creating a grid lock.   Just picture that scene.   Now add a punctured tyre and a stow to the scenario.  Isn't that the worst nightmare any motorist can have?


I was in my friend's car and while I was just commenting on how skillful she is in her driving, very ironically, that was when her car got jealous and decided to kneel down and have a rest!   And technically because she's skillful, she was able to pull over in time not to obstruct the traffic.  

I felt terrible as I had to leave my friend alone at the scene for a customer meeting.   Thank goodness we were nowhere near the worst scenario I just described above, but we are still talking about stranded in the middle of a motorway for crying out loud - pretty hazardous when I came to think about it now. 


I am still acclimating myself to the stress of the what-ifs and the fact that I didn't offer an extra pair of hands to direct traffic, help make the necessary calls, or simply just be there for her.  I would regret hugely if something unfortunate happened to her after I left.


Yet keeping everything aside, you drivers out there - please remember - servicing your car at regular intervals and taking the appropriate care help the car operate smoothly and function at its best.


And go look for an idiot-looking icon like this in your car now - if you didn't know what that is - it is the universal tyre pressure monitoring system.

And please pay attention when they decide to speak to you - there's reasons why they grumble.  

No comments: