Wednesday 7 September 2011

Breakfast in Beijing: Jianbing

I must have been born under a lucky star, at least as far as friendship is concerned. I have friends everywhere, and where I don’t, I have friends who are happy to share their friends with me. This is what happened when I went to Beijing where I had introductions to the most delightful people who have shown me their local delicacies. 

I became Jianbing addict when I first discovered them in Shanghai but in this trip to Beijing, my friend told me these are actually icons of old Beijing - a typical local dish in fact.

Craved for that comfort of brilliance during my last visit in the coldest days, I basically have been having it every single day now because I know I can't find it anywhere back home.  The French Crepe equivalent is made from pancake batter spread ultra-thinly like a membrane, wraps up with fried eggs, green onions, a crispy dough and a savory spicy chilli sauce.  Simply delicious. 


However much I want to see its replicate in Hong Kong, can we also duplicate the smile of the chef because his intense concentration and the joy in seeing how much we foreigner liked his product melts me.  We just don't see that sort of smile often enough in the customer service scene these days, too bad I can't take photos of him he says. 

Oh well, a shot of my breakfast then. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy! Must try it when I get the chance!