Sunday 26 June 2011

Not So Solo Friendly


Dying to go somewhere exciting this summer, but everyone I wanted to travel with either wasn’t available or didn’t have the budget.

Toyed with the idea to London as it is relatively simple to arrange but schedule of my local friends didn't work out.  That's fine.  Next comes Russia...seems very appealing..darn...have to pay single supplement and I tell ya, that is when things can become less interesting. 

While the whole retail world has made strides to cater for singles like us - such as individual meals, dinner for one, the holiday makers are still penalising us for going solo. The number of solo travellers is definitely on the rise but hey, why aren't we getting any breaks on price? 


I can see how a business could feel that it’s losing half of its revenue if only one person is taking up the space, but it puts solo travelers in a bind too isn't it?

I am sure single supplements have been quite enough to prevent many from booking their travel and I am not alone in that sense.  I really think solo travel is an untapped market being under-estimated entirely.  Let's hope the industry get it right soon! 

But before they do, anyone fancy going to Russia and pay twin-share price with me?

No comments: