Thursday 30 June 2011

Giddy-Up: 3D Movies

More than a year ago, I went to watch my first 3D movie in the cinema, Avatar and that was literally - eye strained plus vomit-inducing.

The associated giddiness was quite enough to forbid me from choosing anything 3D for the next year or so.   Then came a company event to watch Transformers III.   Very well.  Perhaps it was time to give it another go, given the fact that I might be in for a few unpleasant surprises.  



"When we watch something in 3D, our eyeballs rotate inwards, with accommodation as the goal. But if that happened, we would be left focusing on a spot in front of the screen, rather than focusing on the screen itself.

This confuses the brain because the eyes have converged without accommodation. Instead, the eyes oscillate between their natural inclination and the artificial state demanded by the film.
"


Are you with me?  Or is this explanation from Goggle a bit confusing?  See how giddy this whole thing can be even without the 3D effects!!

Avatar - vomit inducing.  
Transfomers III  -  I didn’t find it in any way - more relaxing, though giddiness was bearable. 

I shall give it a follow-up review in a year's time to see if there could be any degree of pleasure derived.  I better get used to this before they turn all movies into 3D.   I heard they are showing Wimbledon's Finals on the big screen in 3D!  Interesting, but - No thank you.


No comments: