Wednesday 16 March 2011

Lonely Planet

Perhaps there is something to do with the book publisher picking "LONELY PLANET" as the name of the series of their travel books, I always have this perception that travelling alone is a sad thing to do.  I don't have the gut to but I totally admire those who can. 




A friend of mine is a fine example.  She has set foot in the world's most exotic as well as the most admirable corners of the globe.  A seasoned traveller whose travel companion has mostly been no one but herself.

On the contrary, I am more of a modern slave, a supporter to civilisation than a fond backpacker in the most secluded spot in the wilderness. 

When I saw the excitement in her eyes as she told me how she couldn't wait to be in Peru for 2 weeks - alone, I was thinking for a second, may be one day I might decide to be brave and take the plunge and try travelling solo.  Who knows, I may become a convert! 

Not sure if you agree though, sometimes it is better to be alone than to wish you WERE alone.



No comments: