Monday 28 March 2011

Gone Is Another Ferry Route Or Two


I love ferry rides.  Tell me who doesn't.

It's such a nostalgic thing to do, immersing the sea breeze while absorbing the harbour scene of Hong Kong.  I honestly think it ought to be one of the best-loved gems in the city. 

Sadly the government seems to think otherwise.  Threatened by operating losses and lack of interest in the business, two more Star Ferry routes will cease to exist by the end of this month.  The services between Hunghom and Central, Hunghom and Wan Chai will have their last day on 31 March, 2011.  



They are by far the most affordable means of cross-harbour transport in the city and, all I can see is that ferry routes are being phased out one after another.

Bad news for penny-pinchers like me who, pretty soon, might need to swim to get across to the other side of the harbour!


1 comment:

Benson said...

Oh...what a shame!!!