Tuesday 26 January 2010

A Founder's Emotional Attachment


I have had the chance to watch McNealy on stage many times and to interview him face-to-face. He was always performing some kind of role. As a statesman, clown, practical joker, visionary etc.


One of Silicon Valley's last true characters has now signed off - Sun's founder McNealy has sent a final goodbye memo to his staff today, said there was an interesting book to be written about Sun, but he wasn't going to write it. He said the company was sometimes better at inventing stuff than making money, in which I can't agree more.

Finally he said Sun was 'way more fun than any other company. By far.  From our dress code (You must!) to beer busts to our April Fools' pranks to SunRise.  Again...I can acknowledge each and every one of it.  


The memo I read today was not full of marketing dreck.  It is definitely one of those rare expressions of a founder’s emotional attachment to his company.




This photo was taken a few years back in Shanghai when I first met Scott McNealy, but I am going to be loud and proud and stick this one in as one of my daily photos for Project 340.


1 comment:

BY said...

I wish I can feel the same as how you feel or how most Sun employees feel. But the truth is, I don't. The Sun I know is not the Sun that has been described. I read about April Fools' pranks in the net, I've never heard of beer busts, guess that's because I belong to a different era? But I can understand your emotions, because that was how I felt about Motorola, where I started my career, and was a Mot employee twice.

Well, I believe that when one door closes, another door opens. Let's look forward and embrace the future... be it more money with more challenging career, or simply more free time to pursue our passion or spend time with family and friends.