Wednesday 10 October 2007

Vacation Transition Syndrome



Today is Day 1 of work after a 2.5-week long vacation. I don't recall knowing anyone in the office who has had more days off than me in one go, not to include those sick/maternity leave. Am suffering from maladjustment and serious depression upon coming home from a really fabulous vacation.

As I tried to get my sorry self in gear and return to the responsibilities and routine of ordinary daily life, I discovered I am not alone. In bare fact, VTS is a well-known illness and it's being mentioned everywhere in the web. Here's some cut-n-paste advice from professional psychiatrists on how to get through this easier.


  • First thing First Unpack your suitcase, do laundry, take your photos to be developed, and put your souvenirs on a shelf, restock your pantry and refrigerator, go through your mail, return any phone calls that came in while you were gone.

  • On Day 1 of work Easing back into work gently by starting with tasks such as photocopying and tidying my desktop.

  • On Day 2 of work Give yourself something to look forward to, i.e. start planning for the next vacation

  • Take more Vacation throughout your career Have you ever stopped to think about why vacations are such a shock to the system? It's because we are UNACCUSTOMED to them.

If my boss is reading this by any chance, please forgive me, your staff here is in need of a transition period and she is just adhering to some guidelines to get her up and running for you again.


All she's gonna do today is simple tasks requiring minimal level of exercising her brain, she might leave a bit earlier to clean up her environment at home and she will tell you very soon when she'll go on vacation again.


No comments: