Monday 22 October 2007

Nothing to be taken as granted

Human does have a curious capacity to take things for granted. The most exquisite diamond loses its glitter with familiarity. The most compatible intimate becomes boring. Miracles like the daily sunrise fail to astonish the majority of us, simply because they’re commonplace and repetition and time dull our sense of wonder.





What else do I take for granted? The light turning on when I hit the switch, the chair supporting my weight when I sit on it, a dial tone when I pick up the phone, the clean water that runs when tap is turned, the bowel habit that I have daily and that my body will move when I will it to. Ah, the last one. My body moving.

Body moving is partially about health. Health is something that too many of us take for granted. And if we don't take it for granted, we only pay it lip service.

We assume that our joints will work and our body will move when we command it to. We make assumptions all the time and we take it for granted. Really. When was the last time you thought about moving your leg, or standing up when you were seated. When was the last time you traced your movements, slowly, to see what actually was happening? Probably not recently, if ever.

Sorry if this one turns out to be as confused a mess as it felt while I wrote it. But, this is really essential stuff and needs constant reminders - nothing can be taken as granted.

No comments: