Monday 29 October 2007

Reflecting Virtue with John Mayer's Continuum



His new album is gorgeous, the Memphis-soul displays yet another command of his musical talent. As always - he fuses R&B with old school blues with his gifted sharp melodies and naturally constructed songs.

Nonetheless, I found damaged relationships litter all over the place in Continuum, all depict lovers who betrayed each other, or in tragedy. Tracks such as, "I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You)," "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room," "The Heart of Life," "Dreaming With a Broken Heart" and "I'm Gonna Find Another You", are to be avoided if you are in doubt or in trouble.

On the other hand, Mayer also took his own emotional temperature on self-conscious and obsessive about his place in the world, you can find traces on "Stop This Train": "...So scared of getting older...." he sings, ".....I'm only good at being young..." Can't agree more, can't you?

None of Continuum's 12 tracks accelerates above mid-tempo, therefore, perfectly suited for a modest and reflective moment in time for me to pause and think on life's virtues. Definitely a recommended addition to my recent playlist.





No comments: