Tuesday 24 January 2012

Cafe Loisl - A Unique Find

Living in this concrete jungle in Hong Kong can be intense, but there are definitely ways to escape without leaving.

Greeted by European in decor with dark wooden furnishing, fitted with round marble tables, black and white tiled floors, and with one of the oldest newspapers in the world - Wiener Zeitung hanging on the wall, for a split moment, I could really imagine myself in a little cafe in Austria.  



Veering between needing my caffeine fix and bewilderment on a crisp morning, I went ahead and ordered an Einspanner, which consists of 2 shots of espresso with rich and thick whipped cream relaxingly lounged on the top.  They definitely know their craft and I promised the lady owner, Sirkka (during my last visit), that I will blog about this surprisingly authentic rendition here when I returned to the real world!  Well, it took me a little longer than that and in between, I have already visited them thrice!

Sirkka, a foreign yet pretty name to me, is apparently quite a common Finish name. Her husband and herself are seriously passionate about coffee drinking and they knew it is not easy to find such a quaint locale in the bustling city of Hong Kong and the lack of it prompted them to open this Viennese coffee house.   

Sirrka was able to expound at great length on the various coffees available in the city (abbreviated summary: there is no other good coffee available in the city).  Not only was I fed with excellent coffee, I learned that European coffee culture originated from nowhere but Vienna.

Legend has it that in the summer of 1683, bound by a treaty with Holy Roman Emperor Leopold I against the Turks, the King of Poland led about 75,000 men to victory against the Turkish army that had for two months lain seige to Vienna.  The defeated Turks left behind bags of coffee beans which, upon advice of a spy, the Viennese then roasted. 

Thus, from the spoils of battle arose one of the greatest glories of - the Viennese coffee house, where even today citizen and tourists take their ease and restore themselves with gossip or solitude, newspapers, excellent coffee, and superlative pastries.

Cafe Loisl is a wonderful, unique find, pack full of character - a highly recommended coffee place.

The moment you step onto the small front terrace, I assure you can easily stay there all day and watch the time goes away.


1 comment:

bluebalu said...

I've just been to Cafe Loisl and I agree, it's a great place! Your blog post makes me want to go back again :)