Thursday 19 January 2012

Acquired Taste

I vaguely remember I used to absolutely hate coffee, veered away from spicy food, and never really enjoy binge drinking beer.  I am looking at my diet this week and observed where I stand right now.  All I can say is, I love them all.  Also, it used to all taste the same to me, but now I can tell the difference. 

Yup.  That definitely comes with age (along with the accumulating fat). 


As far as fat (I mean taste) is concerned, it definitely can be acquired.  I know personally for example, my first exposure to beer was in college and it was the typical crappy beer. I hated it of course but then you tend to act cool along with your peers so I would often be seen gobbling lager fairly quickly showing off!  Stupid move no doubt, because that was when they quickly handed you with a second pint!

Further down the road, I discovered just how many different varieties of beer there are in this wonderful world we are living in and found a few that I genuinely like and have stuck with them since.  Right now, needless to say is, quality vs. quantity (again, comes with age).

Same with coffee.  I remember working on the acquisition for the first few years I started work, the dreadful deal just didn’t go through.  Man it tasted bad, how can people take it in like water, I had no idea!   To me it was the strong association with wakefulness, alertness and productivity that got me gradually started.  Thanks to the over time and the burning midnight oils, these associations have caused myself to first be tolerant of caffeine and now actively can't quite live a day without.

Nowadays, it is also the association of coffee with a certain lifestyle, and realistically - I would say it is the "escape" moments in life which you so look forward to every now and then which created the need for it. It is also perhaps the pleasant company that you often have when having a cuppa which perfected the splendid acquisition.


I was curious what sort of "tastes" others have acquired and went around asking a few of my friends.  I have a few more to add to the list actually - Vegemite is definitively one and...along the line of non-food category, golfing pops up, crying babies can qualify and, interestingly, living alone per say, can be another! 

Can you think of anything else?



No comments: