Sunday 13 November 2011

You Are The Apple Of My Eye


I first came across this idiom from Stevie Wonder's song "You Are The Sunshine Of My Life"...its lyrics goes like this...

You are the sunshine of my life. That's why I'll always be around.
You are the apple of my eye. Forever you'll stay in my heart.



It means someone pleasantly sweet and of great worth, whom you cherish above all others.  Just like our eyesight.  It is so precious, if someone is called this as an endearment - is deemed equally precious.


They don't seem to write flowery songs like this now, do they?  And I wonder why. 

What is it that gives the great ballads their special feel and flavour that kept us playing the oldies over and over?

Call me old-fashioned but I am thinking there was something much more nuanced and subtle alive in the music world back then, harmony-wise, lyrics-wise and in many ways I struggle to describe.

May be...gone were those days.  


It is awesome to have movie like this one, which steers us to reminisce the old, revalue the current and relive what comes in future.   


No comments: