Thursday 17 November 2011

Simple (Is) Better


Just as Chinese characters have a traditional and a simplified version, I discovered the same applies to good old conversational English!

Let's compare the Queen's English with some Singaporean English (Singlish), which I came to master.


Briton : Hello, my name is Bond.  James Bond.  Did anyone call for me a few moments ago?

Singaporean : Hello, who called?


Briton : I beg your pardon Sir, but we don't seem to have what you are looking for.  If you could just bear with me for a moment, I can certainly call another outlet of ours and run a check.

Singaporean : Wait ah...I check for you.

Briton : Excuse me, but do you think it would be possible for me to enter through this door?

Singaporean : Can pass or not?

Briton : What do you propose we do before dinner?

Singaporean : So how?

Briton : Hey, put your wallet away, the drink is on me.

Singaporean : No need lah.

Briton : I am terribly sorry, I could have said so earlier if circumstances allowed that.

Singaporean : Aiya, I would say so if I could leh.

Briton : Under no circumstances you are allowed to cheat

Singaporean  :  You die die can't cheat one.


A Singaporean will tell you "Simple better".  Let's put aside the grammatical context of that two-word sentence (didn't know a sentence can be that short for a starter)!

Exactly.  That on its own, forms a brilliant demonstration of the sheer efficiency and effectiveness of communicating with the astonishing - Singlish!





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

British people like to "cushion" negative comments ma ;)