Monday 4 August 2008

A Killer App in Facebook Killing Your Time

The Chinese version of the Mob Wars named "古惑仔 Online" is no stranger to many. It's an epic game of Mafia war game, played on Facebook.

The game earned quite a reputation within a short span of time introduced and has the ability to lure thousands of players online each minute of the day. Not only that, the game requires you to form alliance so players with more buddies stand a higher chance of winning in the gangster fights, granting you an advance to the next level.

That's what facebook is after - network participation - and there's no stopping it.


A word of advice, for those who are not prepared to invest your time online 24 hours a day, 7-days a week, don't attempt to go anywhere near it.

Players all started with petty thieves and work their way up the ranks to build their almighty criminal empire. I started playing this game a week ago and this has been the most sticky game in facebook for me so far.

For someone like me, who doesn't quite manage to master my assets in real terms, find it a challenge in doing so in the game.

For instance, I have bought weapons and arms which I don't need; made the wrong choice in cars and sold properties which can otherwise give me a better ROI.

Other times, I have wasted precious time on the wrong strategy and most often than not, have forgotten to deposit my hard earned cash in the bank before I logout at nights and ended being stolen.


The game is all about opportunity cost and this is what I like about the game.

It serves as a reminder in real life, that we are to make decisions every minute. We are faced with opportunity costs all the time and there's no time to sit back and regret about a wrong move you have mistakenly made.


That's life, you gotta move on.

In this game - the most you get is being knocked out and be unconscious for a while, you will wear out but no, you won't die after all that constant fighting.

I guess that's the only difference between online game and reality.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

seriously it's a very stupid game. I quit after a few days... It's definitely copied from Warbook. Warbook is more fun.

In a way, it's more of a game to make friends online...