Monday 26 May 2008

The Maths Anxiety I Have

Maths. Does mention of the word make you run the other way or raise your hairs at the back of your neck?

It has always been the case for me and the fear is more severe as I get older. Let me site an example:

There are 3 kinds of people in this world: Those that can count, and those that can't.


I began to learn there is a so called "Maths Anxiety Syndrome". How do you know if you are a sufferer?

Well, if you go out of your way to avoid anything to do with calculations or solving problems with numbers, then those are probably enough to constitute maths anxiety symptoms.


The good news is, I know I am not alone as fear of maths is more widespread than I thought, at least Google returns over 463,000 hits for "maths anxiety". That's a comfort to know.

The bad news is - I realised Maths has become a true divider in our society. In the past it was gender and class-based segregation. However, recent international renowned reports show that students from higher socio-economic backgrounds still have a distinct advantage in maths.

So hating maths is not so clever and definitely not a sound strategy at parties nowadays to say 'Oh, I was never any good at maths'. No one should go buy that T-shirt that has "I failed Maths" printed at the back.

Let’s stop maths bashing - This is for my own good.

No comments: