Tuesday 13 May 2008

The Bucket List

Spooky as it seems but I felt I was being "summoned" to watch this movie on my way back from Shanghai. Morgan + Jack, can't disappoint, so I watched on.

As I did, I began thinking about my own mortality and also my best friend's, pondering wistfully about her then imminent doom and what things she might want to do before she died.

The climax of the movie has to be the moment when both terminally ill men stood at the top of Egypt’s pyramid and Morgan told the story of how the Egyptian myth goes about gaining entry into heaven. The custodians of the gate would ask two questions to decide who qualified for heaven:

“Did you find joy in your life?” and,
“Did your life bring joy to others?”

I will never regret spending any length of time with her, tried my best to bring joy to her last demise days in the ward. Indeed her last few months were my best. She changed my life and I didn’t know it then, but she knew.

She is now trying hard to show me again the river to happiness or what Morgan referred to as "Joy in life". Perhaps, I should really let faith decide, not my brain.

No comments: