Monday 6 October 2008

Italy d'amore


I never come to know Italy is full of love and romance.

Italy d'amore in virtually all corners of all the wonderful cities or unique towns I set foot on; whether it was in Livorno, Sorrento in Napoli or the capita Roma. Firenze in Toscana or Venezia & Padua in Veneto.

It was like the country awaited me to discover its true meaning of 'amore', whether I was strolling a city street, checking out their museums or discovering a secret garden.

Before I forgot all the feeling of love, I decided to hurriedly jot down what I could recall the Italy I came to know.


Rome - visited the exquisite city very hastily. Saw St. Peter's Basilica from afar and drove past The Colisium. Known as the Eternal City, Rome originated as far back as 753 BC and is one of the few major European cities that escaped World War II. As the heart of Christianity and being seat of the Roman Catholic Church, it truly is a city that consists of old heritage in a modern cosmopolitan.

Livorno was my first port of call, gateway to Tuscany and entrance to the country. Tuscany is known for its wines and production of extra virgin olive oil. Italian Renaissance was found everywhere here.

Florence is a city full of medieval flavour, established by Julius Caesar in 59BC and has also been the birthplace for one great after another. Including Leonardo da vinci, Michelangelo
and Galileo Galilei (Galileo borned the day Michelangelo died). It is a city where I had to "get wrapped to see the naked" - the famous David di Michelangelo, for example.

Naples, located halfway between two volcanic areas, one of them being the volcano Vesuvius. The place dates back to around the 9th century and is home to several wonderful churches whose origins began in the 12th-13th centuries.

Sorrento is traditionally held as the home of pizzas, spaghetti, Margherita, Geleto and Limoncello (a lemon liqueur only available there).

Pompeii was an interesting place. Destroyed, and completely buried during a long catastrophic eruption thousands of years ago. The volcano buried Pompeii under many meters of lava and ashes and it was lost for nearly 1700 years before its accidental rediscovery in 1748. Its excavation has provided an extraordinarily detailed insight into the life of a city at the height of the Roman Empire.

Venice - How often would you get to set foot on Piazza San Marco at midnight hours? Well I did. The night view of the city totally took my breath away. However, I must stress the fact that I would think twice if I have to sail on a gondola in the rather smelly Venetian canals, if given the chance. Let alone that part of the senses, the mouth-watering window shopping experience of Gucci in one of the alleys would prove all worthwhile.

No comments: