Wednesday 1 October 2008

GPS or A to Z?


I am not too bad in map reading myself and I do enjoy having the ultimate authority to command the driver next to me when I have possession of the directions.

Recently, I have employed a GPS navigator device - TomTom and my driving experience with him (Tom) has proved excellent. As with all digital devices, I have my expectation set on Tom to be fast, accurate and simple enough to figure out without a manual.

I must say once again that hi-tech innovation really is granting us the convenience and speed much needed in this society. Tom performed without hesitation and error - well, most of the time.

He was flawless in the first 3 hours of driving and I was very pleased with him. He made sensible route plans, would beep me whenever I was 5mph over the speed limit and even sent out gentle reminders of the speed cameras ahead of time. It was when we began ignoring him by making numerous detours, that annoyed the diligent Tom. He then made some wrong calculations and guess what - we got lost.

I paid Tom USD20 a day and so I thought I have every right to utilise his brain and not mine. Nothing against technology but after being left stranded by Tom, I came to realise total dependence on GPS wasn't such a good idea. One can always reset the system when feeling a bit lost, but then don't we look rather dumb then?

It freaks me out when I come to think of the next generation losing the hang of map reading just like we depend on spell-check these days and we are already losing the ability to spell.

Guys - don't give up on your good ole A to Z maps - not yet.


No comments: