Monday 5 January 2009

Against All Odds

What do you say are the odds of finding a phone lying on the streets?

How about the odds of recovering your phone after you have lost it?

OK, how about the odds of finding a phone lying on the street and discovered it actually belonged to a friend you know!

My friend and I were leisurely walking on the promenade at lunch hour and while I was absorbing the ultra-violet rays, I came across something shiny on a bench and it was a phone lying unattended.

We looked around, there was no one and we sat on the bench, thinking what we should do with it. We decided to sit there for 5 minutes, hoping the owner would come back for it.

Whilst the wait, my friend did a quick search on the recently dial list in the phone and, I glanced a familiar name sat on top of that list.

"A friend of mine," I shouted.

I haven't met this friend of mine for ages and I have only managed to add her in my facebook 2 days ago. I was quite sure that has to be the friend I know, no mistake about it because the family name and the first name are both unique. It was no Joe Bloggs.

I called my friend up using that phone, told her I wasn't who she thought I was and explained how and where I came across the phone and wanted to connect to the owner etc etc.

The story goes...The phone actually belonged to my friend's sister - whom I also know and have lost touch for years. She came look for it a minute later and there we were - reunited by the most erie lost & found.

Such a coincidence and we were simply speechless. Perhaps it is time to buy the lottery - the both of us.

2 comments:

mE! said...

I love your story. Coincidences do happen, eh.

Unknown said...

Wow, what a coincidence! Your friend was being very lucky to have the phone being discovered by a trustworthy person like you. Well done. I did picked up lost phones in toilets twice or more so far in my life and did call back the owner and arranged to hand them back their properties afterall.