Tuesday 6 March 2012

My 4th iPhone 4


Hi readers, 

I am on my fourth iPhone 4 at the moment, believe it or not. 

The first iPhone 4 I purchased 1.5 years ago lasted several months until a battery defect overheated the hardware and would no longer hold a charge. The genius replacement iPhone 4 that I swapped out then, had a hardware microphone issue that I noticed only hours after leaving the store. The third kept crashing and just refused to talk to iTunes.  I am on my number four - going 2 days strong.

It has come to my attention that people who replaced their iPhones tend to go through numerous replacements whereas the rest of them still have a perfectly working original.  I mean it does make me ponder those like myself on our 3rd, 4th, 5th and so on iPhone, can't possibly have all the bad luck, right?   The rest of you seems to be suggesting that the problem could be with people rather than the phones.  


Anyhow, several things I learned from all these replacement exercise, in which you lucky people might not have otherwise discovered. 
  1. Backing up data on a regular basis is absolutely essential
  2. The AppleCare Protection Plan is definitely worth investing and
  3. Decoding iPhone's unique serial number

Point no. 1 and 2 are self-explanatory.  Point no. 3 is quite interesting.  

Every unit comes with a 11-digit serial number and it contains vital information of where and when the unit was manufactured.

aabccdddeef

aa = Factory and Machine ID
b = Year
cc = Production Week
ddd = Unique Identifier
ee = Color (A4=black)
f = size (S=16GB, T=32GB)

So for my replacement unit - reads a black iPhone 4 with 16GB - produced in week 52 of 2011.


Go check yours now! 


No comments: