Thursday 24 July 2008

CJD - As Mad As Hell


It's been more than a decade since I last donated blood successfully, and just now, I was glad to see a mobile blood donation counter set up right in our office building.

The enthusiastic me then made sure I stuff myself and be prepared for the transfusion after lunch. Only to find out from Red Cross once again, that I am still not eligible to donate because I spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 3 months or more in the United Kingdom between January 1, 1980 to December 31, 1996.

They claimed there's evidence from a small number of case reports that CJD can be transmitted through transfusion!

Symptoms of CJD or mad cow disease include: memory loss, personality changes and hallucination.

I seem to possess all of them from time to time.

May be it really is a safer bet to reject my generosity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

told you our blood are abandoned for a lifetime!! I got a thank you letter from Red Cross during my first attempt. Did u?