Friday 21 March 2008

A Nostalgic Trip to Stanley


Stanley - a town and a tourist attraction on a peninsula that sits on the southern part of home - a place which was once so familiar to me yet today I have played the role of a total stranger, touring and taking shots as I scrolled down the locality like I have never set foot on it.


My trip began with the elegantly European-style Murray House, the old pier and the adjoining seafront promenade. What a nostalgic reminder of the Colonial-style architecture and a big kudos to the heritage bureau.

I hereby announce Stanley Town as officially qualified to be what you expect a tourist attraction in Hong Kong should be.

Talking about the specialties of Stanley, I just can't neglect the Stanley market - a beehive of tiny shops selling all kinds of things. The last time I went, it was an open-air market, rain drops could easily drip through the derelict caravan canopy, with narrow and uneven pathways everywhere. What I witnessed today was packed as ever, but I am impressed it's now fully sheltered.


Mother and I ended the trip with a hasty afternoon tea at the oldest tea restaurant in Stanley. Being the last 2 customers allowed in, we waited for more than 20 minutes for the reputed French toast to arrive and got kicked out of the place sharp at 5. Needless to say, customer service was most appalling, nevertheless, the French toast was actually quite exceptional in terms of being the closing episode of this chapter to Stanley.





1 comment:

∩((=゚o゚=))∩ said...

Have I told you, I'm part of the team who built this Murray House complex?