Wednesday 25 July 2012

At Passport Controls


I have been travelling so much that I can literally wake up in the morning, not remembering where I am at that moment in time.

OK.  That doesn't mean I haven't got the time to blog.  No excuse really because precisely, as I have been travelling to different countries, I should be incredibly inspired. 

And I am.  By the immigration process. 


So often a scary or tedious thing for travellers is it not?  I mean just imagine, an unidentified officer can fire at you with a variety of questions such as the duration of the visit and for the sake of what (can't they read what I wrote in the form?)  And quite often people can feel uncomfortable when these creatures watch faces intently as he/she matches the photo on the passport stamp.

I have been reasonably inspired.   I am fascinated by the fact that certain sounds in nature are beyond the range of human hearing - like the “ thank you” spoken by the immigration officer at passport controls.

 

Shouldn't they be glad someone is visiting their country?  The influx of foreigners are actually the ones keeping them in their jobs.  And I am thinking, perhaps a thank you would be nice, or a return of a smile if the former is too much to ask.  



No comments: