Thursday 17 September 2009

Why Be Perpetually Late?


Haven't been writing for as frequent as I envisaged, because it took me a while to figure that there exists a norm for people to be perpetually late. Or I hate to say it is currently "in fashion".

I have always made a concerted effort to be on time or, usually early for every appointment, with few exceptions really, but every exception had been an opportunity for me to learn how to better manage the same circumstances next time.

Punctuality has become a trust issue in the western society. When you make an appointment, you are making a commitment to be where you said you’d be when you said you’d be there. You said you’d be here at 9 o’clock, but you are not here. If your word is not good enough about something as trivial as showing up on time, how can your word be any good about anything more important?

OK, you can almost always blame the traffic and come out clean and innocent, but if you think about it, if you can’t even consider the possibility of a little extra traffic in today’s western society, can I count on you to be handling anything else?

The attitude of the chronically late person who, when confronted, says,

“But I’m always on time for the things that are important.”

The message is loud and clear - when I’m late, it’s because I really don’t feel that whatever I’m late for is all that important.

For people I have a date with, I can only assure you that you are important and that your time is too valuable for me to be late.

No comments: