Wednesday 27 May 2009

Inspired by Goldfinger

The James Bond film Goldfinger was on TV last Saturday and I caught a glimpse of it.

In an attempt to make the dastardly Auric Goldfinger's personal bullion stash 10 times more valuable, he tried to make the US government’s gold reserves worthlessly radioactive by detonating an atomic device in the vaults at Fort Knox.

Though this plot was needlessly complex, comparatively low-tech and I laughed through most of it, the film, 4 decades later, has somehow inspired me to follow a more time-tested mantra on an investment strategy: buy and hold.

If Goldfinger had snapped up the yellow metal in 1964 and clung on to it, his bars would now be worth 26 times more in nominal terms!! This would have been a very respectable return and would not involve murdering anyone by coating them in gold paint or threatening them with lasers.

Right - there you go, everything happens with a reason. The Goldfinger film, the enduring wait at the bank, the gold account promo. OK, I told myself it is time to buy some more gold when market opens, it ought to be a better bet against the minimal savings rate banks offer these days.

Ready, get set, go...only to find out my bank still hasn't linked up my gold account with my online banking account. They have not done a thing in the past 22 hours?! Crap!

No comments: